Skip to main content

Old friend

 

(A short story)

I looked at the mirror and was relieved to see the change of clothes from the usual blue I have been wearing for the last few months . I combed the very few hair that remained stuck to my scalp . Age has given me many lines on my face . People call it wrinkles but I prefer to consider them the best lines of my story . Each line reminds me of the wonderful life I have lived so far . I ran my fingers over those lines , thinking about the best times I have had so far . I sat on my bed waiting . The boring white color and the silence around started disappearing in the wind and glimpses of my past replaced them . I looked at them as if watching a good old movie and my heart filled with happiness . A sudden knock on my door brought the sickly white interiors back . I turned back to see my son standing .

“It’s time dad ” , he said . I nodded and moved towards the door . The next few hours of travel flew away just like seconds with me mulling over the beautiful past and the wonderful future that is going to present itself in a few minutes .

I stepped down from the car and stumbled but steadied myself by holding the car’s door . My son offered to help me but I just smiled at him thinking , “Don’t you know me boy ” . He smiled back nodding and moved back realizing that I would not prefer to depend on anyone . I then started to walk . The loose sand made it a bit difficult but the excitement in me nudged me forward . Now I was almost near the water . The wet sand was much better to walk . I was leaving my footprints and a dot nearby , a mark left by my walking stick . I turned back and looked at the trail of prints . A pair of prints were near mine and it brought back some good old memories I cherished . I smiled at it . A sudden breeze brought me back to the present and the footprints near mine was not there. I turned back and strolled towards a bench nearby . I could feel the cold water caressing my feet . It was lovely .

I reached the bench and sat down , breathing in the cold fresh air . I let out a huge sign . It had been ages since I came here . I stared at the waves . Their dancing always felt like they were saying something . They carried me into their realm but a voice brought me back . A voice that I had longed to hear , a voice that was once with me always . I turned around with eyes wide open and grinning to find him standing there smiling back at me . It was a feeling I couldn’t explain. It was wonderful .

He came and sat next to me and punched me friendly in my stomach and said , “You are still the same da gunda(fatty)” smiling . I knew he was lying , I know how the last few months in bed had changed me but it is how he usually called me , gunda !! and I liked it too . Age hadn’t been very merciful to him either . But he tried his best to present himself well and make me feel happy .

As any old friends who met would chat and laugh about the fun times they had , we sat there talking and laughing .  I felt light and young as I were once . He was making faces , mimicking my voice and reactions and making me laugh out as much as I could .I was laughing from my heart after a very long time . Happy that I met him , I closed my eyes and took in everything , everything I could and I laughed for one last time and everything around went black and numb .

I could see him , my friend , the only one , the one who has been a part of me , holding my motionless body , his eyes closed and crying softly .

“This is what he wanted . He wanted to get out of the hospital and wanted to meet you one last time . This was his last wish ” , said his son crying , who came there now and saw his father in his friend’s arms .

“I’m gifted to have a had friend like you ” , he whispered in his dead friend’s ears .

I am now into the realm of the waves  dancing with them and bid a final good bye to the two souls I held dear .

Comments

  1. Awesome..:))

    Please do join my blog too http://pavanmickey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jeova sanctus unus

One of the world’s greatest scientists.He was an alchemist, a member of the Royal Society of London, a Rosicrucian, and he signed some of his most secretive science papers with a pseudonym — ‘Jeova Sanctus Unus’ ! which means “One True God”. He signed his name that way because, like the ancient Adepts, he understood himself as divine. In addition, because the sixteen letters in Jeova Sanctus Unus could be rearranged to spell his name in Latin, making it a perfect pseudonym. Jeova Sanctus Unus is an anagram of a famous alchemist’s name in Latin. Latin interchanges the letters J for I and the letter V for U, which means Jeova Sanctus Unus can actually be perfectly rearranged to spell this man’s name. Isaacus Neutonuus. Newton’s name had always been a recurring guidepost for those seeking secret knowledge. Great man and a brilliant one indeed!!! A List of Prominent Pseudonyms [N.B. - née, nee (adj.) appears in American English both with and without the acute accent of its orig

Sa re ga ma–again . Oh! Plzzz

  NO OFFENSE INTENDED . Its always a pleasant thing to listen to music when you are completely bored or stressed out . But the music I listen to , in college . Phew….will come to that later . Most of my classes in college are totally boring these days . My friends , open up their mobile phones , keep them under the desk and start messaging to their friends , in such cases .I am not the always-texting kinda guy , so I just pretend listening and Im quite good at that . Boring lecture are always comfortable for many , as they could do whatever they want , than to listen .But I prefer them to be interesting. Wait !! Wait !! Don’t get any ideas .Definitely not to listen but to escape from my aquarian friend (My best pal). An interesting class with equations and derivations will keep him busy . He sticks his head to his notebook and comes out with doubts and questions .He very well knows that im not the one to ask questions to , so he deals all that stuff with others . Think that he m

The Tour Plan

As we are nearing our end of college life , we all wanted to go somewhere . Most of all , I wanted to . I was very eagerly looking forward to this tour . As people started planning , i became even more desperate . I just wanted to go out with a crowd , no matter where the place is . Go out and have fun – That’s what was all in my mind . People started giving suggestions and few opted out of the plan but most of’em was ready to go anywhere as long as there was a big crowd to shout , mock and enjoy :) With everyone seriously planning and most of’em giving an O.K.  to the tour , I was really glad that im finally having a day out with my friends . But my happiness didn’t last long ….   There came MR.Fate , in Partha Sir’s disguise and gave the report submission deadline as saturday , the very day we were planning for a trip . And as obvious everybody backed out and the plan came crashing down (my happiness too)…. I hope , Mr . Fate takes leave , atleast next weekend and let us h